Welcome to Faith Bible Church!
We're located on the west edge of Lyons, Kansas
@ 1496 West US Hwy 56
(turn south at the Rice County Safety Complex)
(turn south at the Rice County Safety Complex)
For MapQuest directions, click HERE!
to follow Christ
(620) 257-2466 (pastor's office)
(620) 257-5439 (pastor's home)
HE IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN INDEED!
Thought for the Week
Five years ago, John Ortberg, pastor and author of a number of best-selling Christian books, spoke words to his congregation at the Menlo Park Presbyterian Church, which are even more true today than they ever were.
He said, “I cannot think of an Easter in recent memory where there was a bigger need for hope, for something that would breathe life into the human spirit. A year ago, so many people… felt like they were on pretty solid ground. [Now they] find themselves in circumstances they never would have predicted.
“A lot of people… are feeling anxious. They have pressures… that they did not have [before]. They [regret] decisions they've made over this last year. They wonder where things will stand a year from now.
“Nobody ever wants a season of hard times…to come, but when they do, they have a way of making you…ask, What am I really counting on? That's why I've been looking forward to Easter… [a time when] we gather to remember the only hope capable of sustaining a human life through everything.
“People have not gathered for the past 2,000 years to say, ‘The stock market has risen. ‘It has risen indeed.’ They have not gathered to say, ‘The dollar has risen. ‘It has risen indeed.’ Or, ‘the employment rate has risen.’ Or, ‘the gross domestic product has risen.’ Or, ‘General Motors has risen.’ Or ‘the value of your 401(k) has risen.’ Here's the one hope that has held up human beings across every continent and culture for two millennia of difficult times of poverty, disease, pain, hardship, [and] death itself: ‘Christ is risen. He is risen indeed.’ (John Ortberg, in the sermon Resurrection: Metaphor or Miracle? Menlo Park Presbyterian Church, Menlo Park, CA, preached 4-12-09)
Let's Read the Bible Together
If you would like to join us in the exciting journey of exploring the treasures of God's Word, I invite you to read through the entire Bible with us this year. The reading plan includes readings from the Old Testament and the New Testament every day, which actually take you through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice. Just click HERE for today's reading schedule and get started on a journey which will absolutely change your life.
Join us this Sunday:
Sunday School, 9:30 a.m., for children and adults. Hadley Hicks is teaching on the reliability of the Bible in the adult class. God's Word has come under great attack today, so a lot of people are questioning its credibility. This class answers some of those questions you or your friends may be asking these days. Everyone welcome!
Worship at 10:30 a.m. for everyone (Nursery provided). This Sunday, we celebrate the resurrection of Christ in a service that is sure to lift your spirits and fill you with hope. Pastor Phil will be preaching from Mark 16 a message called, Hope for the Hopeless. Don't miss it! Invite your family members and friends and let the joy of the season fill your hearts this Sunday.
Adult Bible Study, 6 p.m., @ Phil & Sandy Green's home (501 S. Clark Avenue, Lyons, KS). We're looking at the "one another's" of the New Testament to discover practical ways to "love one another", "serve one another", and "live in harmony with one another". Following Christ was never meant to be a solo act. Christ called us to follow Him in the context of community with other followers of Christ. Join us and learn how to bring health and healing to all your relationships (family, friendships, etc.), but especially to your relationships in the body of Christ. (Note: There will be no adult Bible Study this Sunday, will resume Sunday, May 4).
This Week @ Faith Bible Church
- Monday: Ladies Bible Study, 7 - 8:30 p.m., in the sanctuary overflow room
- Wednesday: Worship Team Practice, 5:30 p.m., in the sanctuary
- Wednesday: AWANA, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m., in the fellowship hall
- Saturday: Men of Faith Bible Study, 7 - 8 a.m. in the sanctuary overflow room
- Easter Lilies: For those who wish to decorate our sanctuary with Easter lilies in honor or memory of someone, please purchase the lilies and bring them to the church on or before Easter Sunday, April 20. Contact Pastor Phil by Friday, April 18, so he can put the names of those you wish to remember in the bulletin. Thank you very much.
- Family Movie Night: 6 p.m., Sunday, April 27, at faith Bible Church. Pizza and popcorn provided. We'll enjoy the hit family film, Grace Unplugged, which recently won the Movie Guide's Epiphany Prize as "the most inspiring film of the year". This is an evening which is sure to encourage your faith and deepen our friendships. It is also a good opportunity to invite your friends and neighbors to experience a little of what Faith Bible Church is all about and perhaps to introduce them to Jesus!
- Wycliffe Associates Banquet: 7 p.m., Monday, April 28. Everyone is invited to this free banquet at the Ramada Inn, Hutchinson (1400 N. Lorraine Street). Hear how God is using volunteers (people just like you) to accelerate Bible translation for the millions still waiting to read the Scriptures. Contact Keith or Marilyn Kimple (620-897-6632) for complimentary tickets.
- Baccalaureate Service: 7 p.m., Wednesday, May 14, Faith Bible Church hosts the annual Baccalaureate Service for the graduating seniors of the Lyons High School. Come out to support our graduating seniors and wish them well in this student-led service. Then stay after for light refreshments. Everyone welcome!
- Vacation Bible School: Save the date! July 7-11, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. The Lyons Community Bible School, hosted by First Baptist Church (803 S. Dinsmore), will feature Weird Animals in a creative presentation of the Gospel for children in preschool through 6th grade. Kids love crazy, wierd animals... the weirder the better. So we've searched the globe for the most special, unique, rare, never-before-seen animals we could find to help kids discover what Jesus one-of-a-kind love means in their lives. Register online at www.groupvbspro.com/vbs/ez/Lyons2014. Volunteers needed.
- Men of Faith: Calling all men to join a band of brothers, men of faith, on a quest together to be all that God has called us to be as men, learning to be men of influence in our families, community, church and nation. We meet for Bible study in the pastor's office at 7 a.m. every Saturday morning, breakfast at 7 a.m. the first Saturday of every month in the fellowship hall, and work projects to be announced throughout the year.
- Ladies Bible Study: All ladies from 13 to 103 are invited to go on a journey together through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. They meet every Monday night from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Faith Bible Church. Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to share your lives as you explore God's Word together. Nancy Hicks is your guide, so contact her for more information at (620) 278-3680.
AWANA: 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., every Wednesday, at Faith Bible Church for children in grades K-6. Get the word out and bring your children and grandchildren for a great evening of Bible discovery in the context of a whole lot of fun, guided by caring adults. AWANA awards night is April 30 for clubbers and their families. Don't miss this last night of the season when we'll enjoy hot dogs, chips, ice cream, a short program and awards for jobs well done. Everyone welcome!
- Free Christian Videos: Faith Bible Church is providing every member and regular attender an on-line video library with over 3,000 video sessions form a host of well-respected pastors and teachers on almost every subject that impacts your daily life. They include videos for children, youth and adults on a variety of topics including books of the Bible, marriage, parenting, finance, work, leadership, men's and women's issues, the Christian life, recovery, interacting with the culture, short films, stories for children and a host of other topics. If you or someone you know is struggling in their marriage, financially strapped and drowning in debt, have a son or daughter who is making some very poor choices, or just need to grow in your personal relationship with Jesus, you will find what you need in this video library free of charge. We just need your email address, so you can receive an email invitation, which will allow you to log onto RIGHT NOW MEDIA and watch any of these 3,000 video sessions for free. Just email Pastor Phil at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you an invitation. To see what's available, click HERE! to watch a brief, 2-minute video.